Detox Retreat Newsletters - April 2013
Around the first of each month we send out a newsletter to previous guests, enquirers, and associated mailing lists.
They are full of news on what we are up to, detox information from Dao, raw food recipes from Nikki, and tips from the team on how to stay healthy in our crazy world.
If you would like to receive future mailings, please sign up at the bottom of the page.
Detox your Bathroom
Detoxing is not just about the food that you put into your body.
It’s also about what you put on your body.
We all carry hundreds of environmental contaminants in our bodies. Some we can do little about - from the air, new furniture, paints, and even pillows. But many we have alternatives to.
And even in tiny amounts, they can have a negative impact, and then there is the cocktail effect as they mix in our bodies.
And where does the body store them ? In fat cells.
So what can we do?
- Detox your body - you know we believe in that... That is why we have been running retreats for 20 years.
- Eat organic - limit the poisons coming in from food... It may be more expensive, but there is no sounder investment.
- Combine foods properly - to aid digestion rather than fermentation... Separating dense foods (protein/starch/sugar) more on that soon.
- Avoid plastic bottles - They contain BPA and cylates - known carcinogens. That's why we sell filter bottles...
- Detox your home - All new furnishings carry poisonous butanes as flame retardants, as well as vanishes, paints, etc. Get natural ones.
- If you wouldn’t put it in your body, don’t put in on your body. Cosmetics, shampoos, deodorants, sunscreens, and body lotions are laced with heavy metals and other toxic ingredients. They get absorbed into the body through your highly porous skin.
Here's how to make your own food-grade body products using coconut and cacao
(spot the similarity to chocolate making!)
Nikki’s favourite Moisturizer
- 1 Tablespoon coconut butter (Applied topically, it is a fantastic moisturizer and is ideal for dry, rough, or wrinkled skin)
- 1 Tablespoon cacao butter
- 1 – 3 teaspoons of almond oil or other runny oil
- 10 drops essential oil such as lavender, rose, or geranium , or a mix
- Glass bowl over a saucepan of hot water (IE: low-tec bain marie)
- Clean jars (use small jam jars or old moisturizer pot)
- Melt the butters in bain marie, add the almond oil and essential oil, stir and pour into a jug
- Pour into jar and leave to cool and set – this will take quite a while – I usually pop mine outside.
- It will set to a cream coloured soft solid. You may need to adjust the consistency, as how hard it sets depends on the ambient temperature. Bring it inside and leave in your bathroom for a few hours to see how hard it’s going to remain. In colder temperatures the cream will be solid. This still works, simply scrape some out and it will start melting as you apply it to the skin. If it sets completely hard and you would like a softer consistency, re-melt and add another teaspoon of almond oil and set again.
Coconut oil is the ideal shaving oil!
Simply rub a generous amount onto your skin and use your regular razor to shave.
When you’re done, you’ll find that your legs are smooth and clean – and you won’t even need to moisturize them.
Coconut oil body lotion
Keep your skin hydrated and youthful.
Simply combine coconut oil with a few drops of your favourite essential oil and whisk it until it takes on a light, frothy texture. Store in an airtight container.
Lime Coconut Lip Balm
- Coarsely chop the beeswax or use beeswax pastilles.
- Place beeswax, butter, and oils in a small glass bowl and gently heat in a pan of hot water until melted, then add essential oils and Vitamin E Oil.
- Immediately pour the mixture into lip balm containers.
- You can purchase lip balm tubes and jars, or you can reuse glass or plastic containers.
- Allow to cool completely before placing caps onto the lip balm containers.
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Sunflower Oil
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Beeswax
- 15 drops Lime Peel Essential Oil
- (or any other skin-safe essential oil)
- A few drops of Vitamin E Oil (optional, but recommended)
Makes approximately 1.5 oz of lip balm, enough to fill 10 lip balm tubes, or 3 1/2 oz tins or plastic jars.
Conventional deodorants and antiperspirants contain aluminum, which has been linked to cancer. Luckily, homemade deodorant is quick and easy to whip up!
Mix together 2 parts baking soda and 2 parts cornstarch with one part coconut oil.
The coconut oil moisturizes, the baking soda prevents odours, and the cornstarch keeps you dry.
You can add a few drops of your favourite essential oil for fragrance.
Next time we see you, you'll be looking for beautiful than ever, and without the guilt of animal testing, corporate influence or chemical manipulation.
For more help in creating and sustaining a healthy lifestyle,
book a detox retreat here...
If you need us, we're always here running the retreats that have helped so many people to change their patterns for newer, healthier choices... Just get in touch.
With love from Dao & Nikki, and the Sura team.
Sign up to our Newsletter
Online Superfoods Shop
Buy essential detox and superfood supplies at the best online prices.
Put nutrition at the top of your listVisit Detox Shop
* Disclaimer: Any health benefits and results expressed on this page or in our testimonials will vary form person to person.